When I opened my eyes on the 1st of January 2023, huge silent tears rolled down my cheeks. My first thought for the new year was that my gorgeous boy would have been 21 this year. My second thought was, how the hell am I going to get through this?
For anyone who has lost a child, the lead-up to a birthday, anniversary, or milestone event can be extremely overwhelming and incredibly painful.
There is a perception that over time we get over our losses, but for those of us who have experienced losing a child, we know that is never the case. We just figure out how to build a bigger life around our loss and do our best to honour and protect their memory.
Today I write and stand proud, strong, and confident in knowing that I am the lucky one.
I got to have Ben in my life for 15 years and nothing will ever come close to that.
I am inspired and driven by the legacy and memory of an incredible young man who in just 15 years left a significant mark on the world, saved lives, and impacted people all over.
No matter what else life throws at me, I know I can handle it as I’m already managing my own worst nightmare.
In saying that, it is only because of Ben that I have discovered there is nothing more powerful than living a life of purpose and making a difference wherever and whenever we can.
Life is short so we better make time count.
Today my message is short. I ask only that you do 5 things.
- Watch the video – it’s only one minute.
- Click on the Donorbox link and read the words.
- Gift a Precious Wings memory box (or more than one) in honour of Ben and support another family who will also face the loss of a child.
- Share this post with as many people as you can, on as many platforms as you have, and encourage others to do the same.
- Know that your actions today will make a significant difference to another family and you can’t put a price on that.
Dalya & Ben xx 💙